A Brief History of Poplar Springs Drive Baptist Church
Early in 1883 a group of Baptists discussed the need for a Baptist Church in Lauderdale County just north of Meridian, Mississippi. They made plans for an organization meeting in the schoolhouse in the Poplar Springs area. These beautiful springs were located at the foot of the hill about a city block from Poplar Springs Road, presently Poplar Springs Drive. This very pleasant winding, tree-lined road was the main route leading north from Meridian to Kemper County.